Karner Blue Capital is one of the first investment firms to offer an investment strategy focused on the welfare of animals. As a pioneer of compassionate investment we seek to use our investment strategies as a positive force to influence the role of corporations in society.
Our focus is on the interconnectedness of life on our planet, the one home we all share. Through our compassionate investment strategies, we support companies that protect animals and their habitats and look at how to make companies more transparent to their investors. We seek to harness the power of compassion and the power of capital to provide sustained wellbeing for the planet and all its inhabitants.
In recognition of the vital interdependence of Earth’s bio-systems, we named our company after the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly. Like most butterflies, the beautifully iridescent Karner Blue Butterfly is extremely sensitive to ecological change and experienced a 99 percent population decline during the 20th century.
In 1992 the Karner Blue Butterfly was federally listed as an endangered species, but 25 years later its population exceeded recovery goals, thanks to a coalition of compassionate gardener’s, volunteers, nonprofits and government conservation programs. Today, the Karner Blue Butterfly stands as a powerful symbol of the impact of collaboration and coordination amongst stakeholders.
Karner Blue Capital is the pioneer of compassionate investing. In collaboration with our investors and through our investment allocations, education and engagement, we strive to influence the behavior of corporations in society, benefiting the sustainability of the planet and its living creatures.
Our efforts raise awareness of the challenges to our planet’s future and strengthen our shared commitment to sustainable business practices that provide for all living beings.
We envision a future economy where corporate behavior is guided by principles of responsibility, respect and ethical treatment of all life. Our compassionate investment strategies are guided by a conviction to provide for those in need and a desire to better the emotional, spiritual and physical wellbeing of all living creatures.
Karner Blue Capital envisions a world where all animals are treated ethically and with compassion. We believe:
- Animals are sentient beings deserving of just and compassionate treatment
- Companies have an ethical responsibility towards the animals affected by their operations
- Poor animal welfare policies represent significant reputational, environmental and regulatory risks to corporations
- Many companies lack transparency regarding their animal welfare policies and procedures such that investors are unable to properly incorporate these risks in their stock value assessments
- Investment risks related to animal welfare can be evaluated and assessed through research, company engagement and controversy screening